Sunday, September 11, 2016

Turning Green Gold


September is pediatric cancer awareness month.  Fifteen months ago I knew almost nothing about pediatric cancer.  Sure I had been to a movie where they collected spare change for St. Jude during the previews, but it wasn't real.  It seemed like this far away thing that only happened to other people.  Even the day of Jonah's diagnosis, when we knew something was wrong - cancer was the last thing on my mind.  I remember calling Simon to tell him that the pediatrician was sending us to the hospital for an MRI to "rule a few things out".  Simon asked if he should leave work and meet us at the hospital.  I told him that that wasn't necessary - we had friends coming over for dinner, so he should finish his day and we'd just meet him at home.  There may be something wrong, but it couldn't be serious.  Simon used his better judgement and met us at the hospital.  He was there when our pediatrician had to tell us that the MRI showed a concerning mass in Jonah's brain and that we would be transferred to Lurie Children's Hospital that evening.

Since that day, I have become far more aware of pediatric cancer, and everything that comes with it, than I ever imagined.  Through the months, I have shared facts about the pediatric cancer landscape and shared our journey.  I find myself wishing that I would have known more, cared more when I had the chance - when it could have made a difference for us.

Last year, we were too in the trenches to look at the big picture, to try and impact change.  By the grace of God, today we are in a different place.  Because of that, we want to take this month to try and change the landscape of pediatric cancer - to change the future.  Our goal, is to raise $20,000 to donate to cancer research at Lurie.  Because everyone loves good natured fun, Simon has agreed to some silly incentives to help sweeten the deal, but at the heart of this - it's about changing pediatric cancer.  It's about changing things so that the journey will be less treacherous for those that come after us.

Today, 43 families had their lives changed forever when they received a pediatric cancer diagnosis and 7 families will say good-bye to their child.  Tomorrow it will be the same.  These are unsuspecting families, with little to no idea about the diagnosis they are about to receive.  If they could be given better treatment option, maybe even a cure, we would all win.  Although Jonah is doing fantastically today, the risk of recurrence is still high.  If we could have better treatment options for recurrence, a chance of a cure - that really matters to us.

We know that there are a lot of opportunities to donate to a lot of difference causes.  We promise, this will be the only time we ask in ernest, directly, that you consider donating to a cause has redefined our family.  Whether you're able to donate $25, $2,000 or anywhere in between, every dollar will go towards a better tomorrow for those diagnosed with pediatric cancer.  The link below can be used for donations.

Whether you are able to donate or not, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we approach Jonah's next MRI, 9/27.  He is doing so incredibly well right now, and we have never enjoyed "normal life" so much.  Please pray for a stable MRI and a disease that will stay in remission forever.



http://foundation.luriechildrens.org/site/TR?team_id=35382&fr_id=1410&pg=team

No comments:

Post a Comment