Monday, August 10, 2015

Weary



Weary, that's how I feel today.  I feel weary from trying to pre-qualify for a marathon I don't really want to run.

The MRI this morning showed an increase of fluid in the subdural space of Jonah's brain.  It is in a similar space to the epidural hematoma that he had immediately after the first surgery, but it is now subdural and unrelated to the first (or second, which was in a totally different area).  The medical team is struggling to find the pressure balance for Jonah.  They know that he needs help draining his excess cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) or he'll end up with hydrocephalus again, but they know if they drain too much, he ends up with hematoma.  Clearly we haven't found the right balance yet.  They have again adjusted his shunt setting to reduce the amount of CSF drainage and we will do another MRI tomorrow morning to see how things look and if the adjustment was adequate.  If not, another surgery is not ruled out.  It's hard to see the pained look on the medical team's faces as they have to walk this road with us.  I hate to see their sympathy but am glad that we're more than just a case to them.

This development sets chemo back at least a day, maybe longer.  Until neurosurgery clears Jonah, he won't be allowed to start chemo or any rehab outside of the hour or so of combined OT, PT & speech he receives in hospital.  So here we are, weary from our many encounters with neurosurgery, waiting to start the hard marathon of chemo and rehab, and we just can't seem to qualify.  It's hard to want to qualify anyway, who really wants 6-9 months of chemo and a hard rehab road?  I've never been a real runner, so I don't "really" know, but from a brief running period I remember using small markers to keep going, the next mailbox, the next tree - really anything to move one foot forward at a time.  I guess that's where we are now, looking for the next mailbox, the next tree - the next therapy, the next imaging - one step at a time.

In a story that may seem short on good news, last week a baseline auditory test was preformed which is needed pre-chemo.  That test indicated the possibility of right sided nerve/hearing damage from everything that's gone on.  This morning a more advanced test is being conducted and so far the results seem promising.

One step at a time friends, one step at a time.


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the updates, Steph; they help us better know how to pray. And thank you for your bravery and for yours and Simon's continuing faith in the midst of this.
    You're absolutely right about the one step thing. As a runner, I can tell you that as much as marathons are about the physical, they're so much more about the emotional and spiritual, about praying for the will and God-given strength to continue in the midst of extreme struggle.
    We are continuing to pray big prayers for you guys and for Jonah. You guys have got this, and when you feel like you don't, God's always got you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Little ones to Him belong, they are weak, but He is strong. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me. The bible tells me so."
    His grace is sufficient for you, and His power is made perfect in weakness. (2 Cor. 12: 9) Trust in that and know that so many are on their knees pleading before the throne of grace for healing, strength, wisdom and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are thinking of you and praying for you every day and have shared with our small group for more prayer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this update. Like many others, Steve and I are lifting you up daily. May you tangibly experience the hands that are carrying you and the love that is surrounding you through this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that through my journey I found the little notes from others encouraging. I struggle to know what to say, other than to say that I know God had his own conversations with me on my behalf when I was too weak to pray. It seems pretty funny to me to say that now... I wonder if he was sitting in heaven having one of those pretend 2 sided conversations you see comedians use during comedy sketches... But that must have been what was going on and I think it is going on for you too. He's praying when you can't, he's watching over Jonah when you're too exhausted to keep your eyes open, He's moving the hearts of people to think of you and pray for you, when you just can't find the words to write another post. You are all richly in our hearts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are all always in my thoughts and prayers

    ReplyDelete