My beautiful pink/coral peonies have turned white and are slowly letting go of their petals. Surrender can be simple and beautiful while tinged with sad.
The light always breaks through. The dark does not win. We may be walking in the the cloudiness now, but the light will break through.
There is no changing the hard, the scared the uncertainty or the sad that I have recently shared. There is no way to wrangle time to make it pass faster. There is nothing that we can do that will change the outcome of Jonah's next scan. These are the hard things that are true. These are the things that demand a response to "and then so what?". And then so what if you can't make time go faster? And then so what if you can't change the outcome of the scan? How do we respond to things that are hard and true?
We have a choice. We can struggle through these next weeks, consumed by fear and grief - letting sadness be our closest companion. Would anyone fault us? Doubtful. Would it make those hard true things different? No. The other option is to take the time to sit with the hard feelings, recognize what we can control and then live. Perhaps one of the greatest tragedies of the next few weeks would be if we failed to see the beauty, the joy, the love and the other small gifts that God places in each day because we were too consumed with sorrow.
This is my goal in the next few weeks - to live. To find the laughter, the joy, the happiness. To feel love and hope. To see outside of myself to appreciate the beauty of spring, the sparkle in my children's eyes, the shrieks of happy play. I have no doubt there will be moments of sadness or fear that break through, but I do not what to be consumed. We do not know what the future will hold, none of us do, but I do not want to look back in regret, realizing that I missed the chance to live.
At these thoughts of living have been swirling in my head today, they have interspersed with an old hymn - I Surrender All, by Judson Wheeler Van Deventer, and so it is that with text that I leave you....
All to Jesus I surrender
All to Him I freely give
I will ever love and trust Him
In His presence daily live
All to Jesus I surrender
Humbly at His feet I bow
Worldly pleasures all forsaken
Take me, Jesus, take me now,
I surrender all
I surrender all
All to Thee my blessed Savior
I surrender all
All to Jesus I surrender
Make me Savior wholly thine
May Thy Holy Spirit fill me
May I know Thy power divine
I surrender all
I surrender all
All to Thee my blessed Savior




Thank you so much for sharing this, Stephanie. I am so sorry to hear of Jonah's scan change. We are having difficult days here as well. Jeff seems to change daily - harder symptoms (agitated, kind of distant, etc.) and today he has slept most of the day. His MRI is a week from Friday. Like you, I am trying to cherish each day. Our God is faithful - sometimes especially in the hard. I love you - and I am praying for you all.
ReplyDeleteread your blog thru a link post from Christina Willis- praying for your family in the waiting & difficulty- may He comfort you and heal your son. May we ALL notice the beauty in the waiting.
ReplyDeleteLove you dear friend. Your words are heartfelt and Holy Spirit driven. Sometimes your mind and heart don't want to connect as the fear and grief can be overcoming, but those little breaks throughout a day (flowers, sunshine through the clouds, a childs laughter) are such a blessing and ones to sit in for a while. I believe its similar to how God shows us little blessings in this sinful world to show His goodness and remind us of that. Praying there aren't any questionable things or unsettling things that come up during these weeks of waiting, so that you are able to rest in some of the blessings God provides.
ReplyDeleteAmen and amen. Praying...
ReplyDelete