Monday, September 21, 2015
Do Not Be Discouraged
I feel so grateful that at the beginning of this journey, God put Joshua 1:9 on my heart. It says, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Walking the journey of cancer requires all of these traits. Sometimes you have to be strong, sometimes you have to be courageous, sometimes you can't be afraid and sometimes you can't be discouraged. In everything God walks with us.
Today is a day where the reminder to not be discouraged is important. We are done with round 2 of chemo and were actually "healthy" enough to go to RIC this weekend but they don't take a lot of weekend admissions. We spent all day gearing up to hear from RIC that they had a bed for us and the call never came. There were assurances though that they'd have room for us tomorrow. Unfortunately, Jonah woke from his nap this afternoon with a fever of 101.3. We knew from this morning that his ANC was low, so this counts as a neutropenic fever. Best case scenario, we're clear for RIC on Wednesday, but it is disheartening to get a neutropenic fever before we even get to leave the hospital.
Getting back to RIC is so important for Jonah's recovery from the posterior fossa syndrome. Strange as it is, we really can't wait to get back there. The amazing thing is, that even in the disappointment of our delayed departure, I see the grace of God. Had there been a bed at RIC for us today we would have gone and they would have sent us straight back, our day spent in ambulatory transport. Instead, today he was able to do in-patient speech therapy and PT. God is with us every step of this journey.
Another aspect of this journey that struck me as today in the need to not be discouraged, is Jonah's speech progress. Everyone says that he's so close to regaining speech as they observe him laugh, blow kisses at cowie, howl in protest during vitals and get angry when strangers come in his room or he's told not to pick at the NG tube in his nose. The thing is, he's not there yet. Sometimes they put kids with posteria fossa syndrome on anti-depressants to help manage their frustration that they can't do or say the things they want to. Today, after observing how upset Jonah got, our oncologist mentioned this might be in our future. It hurts a mother's heart that in the midst of this impossible situation, my little guy's spirit could be struggling as much as his body. It just seems so unfair that this has to be so hard for him. On this front, I have yet to identify how God is specifically walking with us, and so instead I repeat Joshua 1:9 over and over again, knowing that it is true even when I can't see it because I have seen His faithfulness in so many other ways. -- Do not be discouraged for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





They put Noah on Paxil at MarianJoy one of the first few days we were there. Not sure if it was just coincidence or not but his speech did come quickly afterwards. We then removed it a month or two later. Worth a try!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteYou've become a very eloquent writer since our college years. �� I so appreciate the time and effort and the truth and heart you put into your posts. Thankful that you have a strong faith and community around you who loves you. I'm praying for you and love you. Thank you for sharing your journey. Jonah's health, his little voice and his zest for life may have been taken away..... For now.... But what is taken can be restored. That is my prayer. This song always reminds me of you....praising him they the storm.
Praise You in this Storm by Casting Crowns:
I was sure by now
God You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining
As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away
[Chorus:]
And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm
I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to you
And you raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You
But as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away
[Chorus]
I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth