Jonah and Julia were both having a sick day, as a cold has hit our house. They were sharing the couch while watching a movie, and Julia was getting nervous during a scary part. Jonah told her not to worry and that he would protect her during the scary part. More than happy to comply, Julia leaned into her big brother and they happily watched the rest of the movie this way.
I know I'm overloading on the sweetness that exists between Jonah and Julia, but I want to capture these moments somewhere safe, where no matter our future, we have them to look back on.
To that end, here are two other encounters, that have no pictures, that show their love, their hearts and their spirits..........
Although they are not the biggest fans, Jonah & Julia take a nap almost every day. In preschool- protest, they often lay in bed chattering to their stuffed animal friends and making multiple trips to the potty. On a recent Saturday, while Jonah & Julia were meant to be sleeping/resting - I heard the soft clinking of legos coming from the loft. Noah & Anna were otherwise occupied, so I quickly realized it was "the littles". Apparently Julia had gotten up to go potty for the 47th time during rest time and heard Jonah talking so she went to see what he was doing. Together they decided they were done napping and that they should quietly play legos instead. It was hard to put on the mad face to talk to them, when inside I was laughing and loving their tenacity and comradery.
Lately Jonah has been struggling with nightmares. They are of the bad guys and snakes variety, but they are terrifying for him and often result in tears. After date night this week, as Simon and I were returning, well after the children should be asleep, we walked into the house and heard running footsteps upstairs. We also heard Jonah crying. A quick investigation revealed that Julia had heard Jonah crying and had run to him to help him. She was planning on getting Granny, whom she was certain didn't hear his crying.
Over and over, these two show what selfless love looks like - to value someone else's needs and wants over your own. I have no doubt that God himself smiles with a warm heart with each of their encounters - seeing a little bit of heaven on earth.




No comments:
Post a Comment